When the cooler weather hits in September (more recently, not till October) here in the Mountain State, it’s #soupseason for the next six months. We could easily make soup two or three nights a week, and this hearty Cabbage Roll Soup recipe fits perfectly into the rotation.Jump to Recipe
Cabbage is a cheap, healthy, filling ingredient that we use in many forms. Instead of traditional rice used in most cabbage roll recipes, we are going to use frozen riced cauliflower here.
It’s my secret weapon for time-saving recipes recently. Plus, if you need to watch carbs or are aiming for a keto-friendly lifestyle, this is the perfect fit for you.
EASY SUBSTITUTIONS for stuffed cabbage roll soup
(Note: Fourganic Sisters may use links on this site that can be defined as “affiliate links”. This means we may receive a small commission (at no cost to you) if you subscribe or purchase something through the links.
Fourganic Sisters is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.)
-You can easily sub in ground turkey or chicken for the meat, or even a couple of drained cans of cooked lentils.
-You can definitely use regular cooked white or brown rice in place of the cauliflower rice.
-Another easy shortcut would be to use a pre-shredded coleslaw mix.
-Double the canned tomatoes and skip the tomato sauce (or use something like 365 Everyday Value, Simply Ragu or Rao’s), use coconut aminos for Worcestershire, and leave out the brown sugar to keep it keto and or Whole30-friendly.
Cabbage Roll Soup Step-by-Step
First, you’re going to brown the ground beef or turkey in a large stockpot.
Add in the onion and cook about 3-4 minutes, until slightly translucent. Add garlic and heat about one minute longer.
Next, add in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and broth and scrape all the bits from the bottom of the pot.
Add in spices, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and bay leaf. Bring to a light boil, dump in cabbage and cauliflower rice and reduce heat to about medium.
Cook until cabbage is soft (about 20 minutes, depending out how finely it’s chopped) You may choose to cover your pot for this step.
Remove bay leaf and serve immediately.
Leftovers are definitely freezer-friendly!
Cabbage Roll Soup (Made with Cauliflower Rice)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups roughly chopped green cabbage
- 4 cups beef broth may need more if it seems to absorb too much liquid
- 1 15- ounce can tomato sauce (check ingredients for compliance, can sub more diced tomatoes)
- 1 15- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1` 10-12 ounce bag frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (can omit)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (sub coconut aminos for Keto, Paleo, Whole30)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat a large stockpot on medium. Brown the ground beef or turkey (add about a tablespoon of oil if you're using turkey).
- Add in onion and cook about 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add in garlic, heating about one minute.
- Pour in stock, scraping up all the browned bits from bottom of the pot.
- Add tomates, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, spices, and brown sugar.
- Pour in cabbage and cauliflower rice. Bring pot to a low boil, then reduce heat to medium, covering pot if desired.
- Cook until cabbage is soft, about 20 minutes.
- If it's extra thick, add a cup of water or broth to thin it out.
- Remove bay leaf and serve immediately.